We are a young couple remodeling our first house...one outdated / ugly thing at a time. This blog documents our remodel projects and ideas.
RSS

9.19.2011

Happy Fall Y'all

The first day of fall might not be until the 23rd, but I decided to finally be early on something and get my mantel looking a little more fall-ish...especially since it was still decorated in spring decor. Actually, it was a mixture of spring and summer. But that is no excuse, it looked not-put-together and was in need of serious attention. So I took 5 minutes to make it presentable.

I didn't want to go with traditional fall colors, pumpkins, or leaves. I did the traditional fall decor last year, so I thought a change was needed. This year I went with a neutral color palette with touches of warm, rustic colors.  Here is what I managed to rummage from the house:

The decor is simple...which is a change for me. Usually I really play it up with lots of colors and elements, but I really like the changes. On the left side, I staked some books and topped them with a twine-wrapped candle holder and a small brass owl. I also layered my diy chalkboard in front of a window. This chalkboard is an upcycled thrift store frame that I use and reuse for every season.

The right side of the mantel has a tall lantern with another twine-wrapped candle holder. Then I placed a glass full of corks on top of my vintage spool. Finally I hung a set of metal keys from the window with twine. 

Easy, easy, easy. And the decor is versatile enough to last through Thanksgiving. I don't plan to decorate for Halloween so I should be good to go for a few months...yay!

17 comments:

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I like the neutral color palette, and mix of textures. Nice.

Shalom Shimon said...

Happy Fall Y'all! Haha!

arrielle_p said...

The color and texture of the picture pleases me to no end. I think I need to make one for my makati condominiums. Happy Fall! :)

basement remodeling va said...

Very useful content with excellent ideas. I really appreciate your post, thank you for sharing.

Interior Glass Doors said...

I appreciate the color of your wall, some kind of flesh or roushenna color.

http://anyclean.co.uk/ said...

I love fireplaces. They are somehow a part of any traditional UK home and they form a beautiful room design. They way you have decorated it is great!

http://anyclean.co.uk/ said...

I love fireplaces. They are somehow a part of any traditional UK home and they form a beautiful room design. They way you have decorated it is great!

Unknown said...

This house looks so nice! Looks like a great place to have your holidays. We weren't able to do Thanksgiving at my house this year. Anyone who is doing kitchen remodeling in Champaign IL right probably missed Thanksgiving at their house.

granite tile manufaturer ny said...

Wow, what a well decorated fireplace, surely that will help in winter preparation.

Dale Murley said...

very nice!! all looks good

Unknown said...

I really like the old and modern combination style for home remodeling. BTW do you have any suggestion regarding Remodeler contractor in Houston TX? Thanks

Anonymous said...

I am really happy reading your post because It helps me to find the best home renovation contractor in Toronto thanks for your bright idea.

Unknown said...

I am in love with these decorations in the home. They add a vintage simple look to a humble home. Thanks for sharing! I'll make sure to keep this in mind. http://www.congroremodeling.com

Unknown said...

I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and have my children check up here often. I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else!
interior design

Tonisha Pitman said...

http://www.pro-carpetscleaning-london.com/
http://www.patiocleaninglondon.com/

Leonore Coulson said...

Great way to express your thoughts, some really good points here.

bath remodel Austin said...

good post and gently express.

Post a Comment