We are a young couple remodeling our first house...one outdated / ugly thing at a time. This blog documents our remodel projects and ideas.
RSS

2.17.2011

Pendant x 4

I finally finished out the header in the kitchen. Does that sound like greek? Well, if you are just joining let me catch you up. (Oh, and hi and welcome!) We used to have cabinets that hung from a header and seperated the kitchen from the dining room. We tore those out and were left with an unfinished header that needed finishing:

Okay, you are caught up. And I finally finished the header with lots of drywall mud, sanding, and painting. So now I could turn it over to my hubby, the electrician, to install the pendant lights. See that wire hanging from the header above? That was the power to the vent-a-hood and he reused it for the pendant lights.

How did he install the pendants? I have no clue. I'm not an electrician, I just hand him the tools. But I know he measured for the three pendant lights over the bar (the fourth is over the sink) and then drilled holes in the header for the wire to come down through. Next he went up in the attic to do his electrical magic and made three wires come out of the ceiling instead of the one. Then he wired up the pendants and they worked. Go hubby!


Can you hear me singing with joy? I love, love, love the new pendant lights. And the kitchen is much more open now with the cabinets above the bar gone. I don't even miss the storage. I loved my kitchen before, but now it feels so much more inviting! And just for fun, here is a picture of old with the in-the-way cabinets.

Psst - Wanna get up to date on the kitchen remodel? Here is the post about the counter tops, here we removed the cabinets, and here we changed out the gold hardware to brushed nickel.

3 comments:

Design It Chic said...

Oh the kitchen header looks so adorable now with the new pendant lights! Go Bethany! You have some skills in DIY:) I am now following you thanks to Welcome Wednesday and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog:)
And don't forget to check our new Blog Tutorial to learn a few easy tricks to make your blog fabulous. See you there!
Happy Thursday!

Laura W said...

Hi, just found this post. We have the same issue in our kitchen and just removed the cabinets. We have the Ikea light in our eating area as well. What type of pendants lights did you get? Are they from Ikea as well? Thanks! Laura

Remodel This House said...

@Laura - yes, the pendants are also from IKEA. I can't remember the name, but they are cheap frosted glass pendants.
~Bethany

Post a Comment